Tuesday, February 2, 2016

Why we write?



I think that writing can be the most therapeutic experience that a person can have. It can release the stress of a long day or capture the raw emotions of an adverse situation. Either way a written piece let's the world know that we are and were here.

Often times writing can give people a voice or represent a group of individuals that are not heard. As a person who loves writing and teaching the writing process, The thing that that I love hearing the most is: "Wow I can relate to that" or "That piece took me back to a specific time in my life."

As a teacher I love incorporating music and poetry into the classroom. I feel that music and poetry is rich with literary devices and is often coveted with clever words and a unique perspective. Some of the songs that I always use in my class are:



Michael Jackson- Man in The Mirror



  Alicia Keys- Butterflies

                             

                                                                     
       
Lastly, I want to share with you all one of the greatest days of my life. The day that my students performed their spoken word pieces in front of a sold out Barnes and Noble crowd. Enjoy :-).

AMS Poetry Slam

1 comment:

  1. Riggy

    I love all of this. I also agree with everything you've said here. Writing can be so painful but it can also be extremely therapeutic.

    I love that you use music and poetry with your kids. I try to do the same with mine as much as possible. However, I have never used the two songs you listed above (even though I love both) but I may try in the future, so thank you for the idea!

    Also congratulations on such a great accomplishment with your students!

    --Shannon

    ReplyDelete