Tuesday, April 5, 2016



The Skin that We Speak


I really enjoyed reading this chapter because the author addresses a topic that is rarely discussed through a unique perspective. I thought that her solution in having the dominant language compromise it's power to those who haven't inherited it was so powerful. The most powerful quote that I related the most to was the following:


"The war will be won when she won is comes to speak more in her own language, and people accept her communication as valid and representative."

I thought that this quotes was the essence of a well thought out argument. This statement got me to think about how I often find myself teaching students the value of code switching, having students understand that they can't talk a certain way around certain people. I guess you can say that I am trying to teach them how to play the game. However, as the author states and alludes to, I think the greater victory would be for us as a society to change the game so that it reflects the diverse world that we live in instead of the language that a few powerful people have chosen to impose on us.

This thought sort of aligns with what Lisa Depit discusses on page 283 when she states the following:

"the rules of culture of power our a reflection of the rules of the culture of those who have power. This means that success in-institutions, schools workplaces and so on is predicated upon acquisition of the culture of those who are in power."

No comments:

Post a Comment